Your perfect combination fish.
Your own Pangasius
Your everyday fish?
- 4 Pangasius fillets
- 1 teaspoon paanch phoron*
- 2 peeled and crushed garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 small onion finely diced
- 200g fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons shatkora pickle**
- 3 teaspoon Mr. Naga Pickle**
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- Fresh green chillies
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Curry powder
- Chilli powder
- Heat four tablespoons of oil to a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add one teaspoon of paanch phoron* to the hot oil.
- When the seeds begin to pop, add the crushed garlic and fry until light brown and translucent.
- Add the chopped onion and fry until nice soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and the cinnamon stick, bayleaf and about 1⁄2 pint of water.
- As the onion is reduced add a pinch of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of curry powder and 1⁄2 teaspoon of chili powder. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh shredded spinach and another 1⁄2 pint of water and cook until the spinach is reduced to a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek, the chopped fresh green chilies, 2 teaspoons of shatkora pickle and 3 teaspoons of Mr. Naga pickle, mix everything through and let it simmer to one side as you prepare your fish.
- In a small bowl add 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Dust the fish fillets with the turmeric powder and a little salt and place them into the hot oil. Fry until cooked through on both sides
- Place the fish fillets on a heated plate and cover with the spinach mixture
*Paanch Phoron translated ‘5 spices’ is a whole spice blend in equal parts consisting of fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and fennel seeds – readily available in Asian grocery stores
** Shatkora pickle (Seasonal Bangladeshi wild citrus pickle) and Mr. Naga pickle (seasonal Bangladeshi ‘naga bhoot jolokia’ Pickle, Naga Bhoot Jolokia chillies in its raw and prime state is branded the hottest in the world by Guinness Book of Records)
Original recipe from: http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net